There’s nothing spookier than a ghost that suddenly materializes out of thin air, but achieving the perfect floating apparition effect can be a huge challenge. Luckily, we've figured out a creative, low-cost way to create an incredibly realistic spectral display that’s sure to send your Halloween guests screaming!
What You'll Need:
- A copy of our Ghostly Apparitions digital decoration
- A DVD player
- A projector
- Grey bridal mesh or another type of semi-transparent fabric. UPDATE: Since the release of this article, we've created our very own Hollusion material, designed specifically for this purpose! Check it out here.
When you're at the fabric store trying to figure out what material to use, bringing a flashlight with you is a great way to test out which one is going to work best for your display. As you’re looking around, hold your sample up and shine the light through the back of the fabric to see how well it displays on the front. For the best result, look for one that clearly shows the beam but isn't too see-through. For reference, here are some shots of the mesh we used in our video.
How to Set Things Up:
- Hang your length of material in a doorway, hallway or other area where you'd like to project a floating ghost.
- Connect your DVD player to a projector and choose the ghostly effect you'd like to display.
- Position your projector behind the mesh and position the beam to point at the center of your hanging fabric. To make it harder for guests to see how we were creating this effect, we chose to move our projector slightly to the side and angle the beam towards our material.
And there you have it! With this simple technique, you'll have an incredibly creepy and realistic materializing ghost effect without having to build a much more complicated Pepper’s Ghost set up!
If you try out our tutorial, we’d love to see how you set things up! Send your pictures or video links to email@example.com and we just may feature your display here or on our Facebook page.